There are a few things you will need to do to host your conversation(s). Your tasks as a host fall into three main categories: (1) before the conversation, (2) during the conversation, and (3) after the conversation.
Here’s a list you can use to make sure you’re prepared for the conversation:
Before the Conversation:
- Set a date and time. Allow at least two hours for the conversation that includes technical set-up, and/or participant arrival and any post-conversation wrap-up.
- Identify and reserve an appropriate meeting space. Try to avoid recording in rooms where others are talking in the same room, or that have loud ambient noises (e.g. music, loud HVAC units, fans, construction). Avoid recording outside. Large rooms with a lot of echo are also not ideal. The location should be accessible for all participants.
- Recruit 4-6 participants. Invite a few extra people in case some participants are unable to attend. You can share your conversation publicly on Eventbrite or invite a more curated list of close friends. We recommend starting with the people you know, especially if you’re new to facilitating group conversation. Make sure to remind participants about the conversation 1 - 2 days in advance if you are not using the LVN - Cortico registration system. Click here for a sample email invitation you can copy and edit to invite guests to your conversation.
- Review the Conversation Script. Full instructions for carrying out the conversation are in the Conversation Script.
- Reserve your Hearth [link to “Using the Hearth” page] or Zoom Room
During the Conversation:
- Arrive 15 - 30 minutes early to set up the space - in person or online. For in-person conversations, place the Hearth at standard table height. The closer participants are to the Hearth, the better, as long as the group is comfortable. Try to ensure that participants and the host are all sitting at the same distance from the Hearth.
- Take attendance and welcome participants. As people join the group, welcome them. Check their names off of the attendance list. Begin the conversation within 15 minutes after the publicized start time of the event.
- Follow the Conversation Script as soon as everyone is sitting around the Hearth or is able to hear one another online. Full instructions for carrying out the conversation are in the Conversation Script.
After the Conversation:
- Share our post-conversation survey. Encourage all attendees to take five minutes before leaving the room to fill out our survey at lvn.org/feedback. If you are meeting via Zoom, please post the link to the survey in the chat.
- Gather contact information. If participants choose to share their email addresses, they can gain access to recorded conversations and information about the project as it progresses.
- Upload your conversation [link to Using Zoom for LVN Conversations page]
- Return the Hearth. If you checked it out from a library, please bring it directly to the circulation desk (do not put it in the book return slot).
- Amplify your conversation (optional). It will take about 2-3 days for your conversation to be available on the LVN website, and you’ll receive an email notifying you when it is accessible. Please highlight memorable moments from your conversation on the website.